The clitoris increases greatly during the mating cycle. In some bitches it becomes so huge that a male’s penis cannot push it out of the way. It may stick out of the vulva and show as a red knob. It may lead to a prolapse of the vagina so that a red bunch as large as an average-sized tomato protrudes from the vulva. In a few instances, clitorises can be as large as a small grapefruit.
Swelling becomes evident early in the heat period gradually enlarging until about ovulation time when the clitoris shrinks back to normal. However, if untreated it may become irritated from sitting, with infection invading the damaged tissue. Surgery is recommended when such a swelling first becomes obvious. A wedge-shaped area is cut away and the remaining edges are sutured.
Information on Sexual Maturity of Female Dogs
The following information would tell you about the sexual maturity of female dogs.
- The vagina of female dogs is very long and deep. They are very muscular and it is capable of dilation. In some middle-sized dogs, the vagina may extend up to 14 cm long.
- The vagina is lined by epithelial cells which change in form and size during the various phases of the heat cycle.
- During the appropriate time of mating or the process of ovulation, the vagina becomes quite prominent.
- A muscular ring separates the vagina from the vestibule and the vestibular. The muscular ring is often confused with the fibrous membrane. During the delivery of puppies or penetration, the muscular ring may interfere and create several problems.
- The vestibule is the contact zone of the vagina and the vulva. Several times mistakably the vagina along with the vestibule and the vulva is known as the vagina.
- The vestibule is the place where the urethra enters into a bulging region which is just below the union of the vagina.
The clitoris is located in the region between the bulging region of the urethra. The clitoris is a greasy erectile tissue. The vulva forms the external part of the female canine genitals which is surrounded by soft tissue or lips of vertical slits full of pleats. The layer of the female genital slit becomes exceedingly swelled at the time of proestrus and estrus or the time of heat.
Generally, bitches become sexually mature between 8 to 108 months. The sexual maturity of a bitch depends upon its breed. The first cycle of heat usually takes place late in the case of females of large breeds compared to small breeds. During the stages of heat, the bitch can become depressed and have the attitude of roaming around in search of her mate. You are recommended to restrict her whereabouts by comforting her emotionally. You may guard your princess against hoards of low-breed male dogs with the help of a wooden fence along with a bucket of cold water. Always choose a good mate for her in case you want to breed puppies. If you do not want puppies it would be ideal for her to get spayed. This will save your dog from many diseases and disorders.
See more: Dog Cold Symptoms
Leave a Reply