Ordinary rectal thermometers, which you can purchase in a drug store, arc adequate for taking the temperature of a dog. it is a simple matter to shake one down, then dip it in Vaseline or mineral oil and insert it three-quarters of its length into the rectum. It should be left in for more than sixty seconds, removed, wiped clean with a piece of cotton, and read. Don’t wash it in hot water. Anyone can read this kind of thermometer by turning it slowly until the wide silver or red stripe appears and seeing which figure opposite the top of the column it has got to. Most thermometers are graduated in fifths, and since each fifth equals two-tenths, the reading is usually expressed in tenths. An adult dog’s normal temperature is 101 ° F.
As a pet owner, you would always have to take care of your dog. To find whether your dog is fit and fine you need to learn the basic techniques of check-ups. In case you suspect your dog is unwell only placing the hand over the forehead may not give your an accurate answer to whether your dog is sick or not. There are a variety of ways to check out the health of the dog. Certain thermometers can be placed inside the ears or the mouth of the dog. But in that case, you have to be careful in selecting the ideal thermometers for the right body temperature measurements.
In several cases only taking the external body temperature is not enough. You are required to measure the internal body temperature as well. The normal internal body temperature of a dog is between 100.5 to 102.5 degrees Fahrenheit. In most cases for determining the body temperature of the dog the rectal temperature is taken. The following are the ways by which the dog thermometers are taking place.
Instructions to Take Rectal Temperatures
- While taking rectal temperatures most dogs may not allow you to check it. In that case, you may ask your friend for assistance.
- Before inserting the mercury inside the rectum of the dog you must first shake the thermometer very well so that the mercury drops up to 94 degrees.
- To insert the thermometer smoothly into the rectum you are required to apply some lubricant to the thermometer. You may apply any water-based lubricant like petroleum jelly or KY jelly.
- While inserting the thermometer ask your helper friend to hold the nozzle of the mouth and the front portion of the dog firmly.
- The rectal opening is located just below the tail. For measuring the temperature just lift the tail and try to insert it inside the rectum for about one inch and hold it for at least two minutes.
You are recommended to keep the thermometer inside the rectum in place for at least two minutes in the case of a mercury thermometer or until the thermometer starts giving out the beep sound.
See more: Dog Throat Problems
[…] See more: Dog Thermometers […]