Enlarged Female Breast
Swollen breasts after weaning result in congestion, which is nothing to be alarmed about. That is nature’s way of shutting off the milk flow. Rubbing with softening remedies accomplishes nothing. It is probably best to leave the breasts alone; eventually, they will soften. This advice applies, of course, only when there is no infection; if that occurs, your veterinarian should be consulted.
If inflammation is obvious along with very firm breasts, ice packs or cold compresses for ten minutes three times daily will reduce the blood supply and offer temporary relief, but in a few days, the problem will solve itself. Sometimes the care of a lively litter of partially weaned pups is such a burden, the owners sell them or give them away. If the bitch has been supplying most of the puppies’ food, she will be in unnecessary anguish with huge caked breasts in twenty-four hours.
It gives you effective drugs, but in the absence of something better, aspirin will cause pain.
For some dog species, the enlargement of breasts is due to the female dogs who are in the healing cycle. The following are the symptoms that would tell you whether your dog would be in heat.
- At the commencement of the heat cycle if keenly observed then the dog would be seen to be very touchy in the mood.
- In some dogs, there are instances that along with the enlargement of the breasts the dog may also undergo phantom pregnancy. The phantom pregnancy is nothing but swollenness of the abdomen which would seem to be like carrying puppies. Under such circumstances, the owner of the dog should not panic as it would get cured after a couple of weeks when the dog would come out of the heating season.
- Along with the swelling of the breasts and the lower abdomen, the dog can also suffer from swelling of the vulva. The selling of the vulva may not occur in all female dogs but in some female dogs, it has been noticed that the vulva can swell up to as big as a tennis ball.
- The wagging of the tail and allowing the male to inspect her vulva is also a sign of the dog being in the heat cycle.
- One of the biggest symptoms of enlarged female breasts is the discharge of pinkish-red colored discharge.
The enlargement of the breast also occurs during the time of pregnancy and after giving birth to puppies. Mothers with breastfeeding puppies may also result in swelling of the breasts. The breasts start producing milk which is then consumed by the young pups. During the time of breastfeeding, dogs require a huge amount of minerals than what they can take in at normal times. The dog should be given a diet that would contain phosphorus, calcium, and minerals three times more than the usual amount. They would also receive a diet that would get energetic food and protein that would be six times more than the actual amount.
See more: Enlarged Heart in Dog
Leave a Reply