Paraphimosis in Dog
Paraphimosis is a condition in which the opening of the sheath is too small for the penis to pass through at the time of copulation which renders the male incapable of copulating. It can be corrected by a simple operation.
Paraphimosis occurs often in puppies about the time of adolescence. The penis protrudes through the sheath, swells, and then cannot be withdrawn to its natural cover.
Irritation in the penis sometimes causes it to swell within the sheath, which cannot stretch to the full size of the distended penis. This creates great pressure and attending pain. The dog evidences his discomfort by running around and frequently sitting and licking his penis.
The best treatment for either of these two conditions is to get the dog’s interest turned in some other direction. Taking him for a walk, soaking him in cold water, brushing him with a stiff brush, mentioning a ride in the car if he has learned to like it, or even saying, “Where’s kitty?” to a dog that knows what it means may effect an almost instant reduction in the size of the penis. Even then, however, the pain from the distention diminishes only gradually.
The following are the causes of Paraphimosis in dogs.
Causes behind Paraphimosis in Dog
- The causes of the disease are generally associated with the copulation or the process of erection of the dog. Usually, the hair surrounding the preputial orifice gets accumulated at the base of the male dog-copulating organ or the penis. The accumulated hair at the base of the penis forms a restriction in the form of a band. The band prevents the process of retraction of the penis.
- In case the opening of the sheath of the penis is stenotic or very narrow preputial opening.
- The disease may also take place in case the penis gets fractured or injured. The intrusion of some foreign objects into the penis of the dog may also cause the disease. The occurrence of penis-related disorders like the usage of the rubber band, continued and persistent erection in an abnormal way, neoplasia or cancer, or the presence of scarred tissue may lead to the development of the disease.
The following are the symptoms that would help to make out whether your dog is suffering from the disease or not.
Symptoms of Paraphimosis in Dog
- The affected dog would be seen engaged in unsuccessful attempts of copulating.
- The inability to urinate properly is also one of the symptoms. You will find that dog to be releasing the urine inside the sheath or the preputial cavity as it is unable to bring out the penis outside the sheath.
- The urine may also be going for dibbling urine.
- The dog would be seen licking persistently the exteriorized penis.
- The formation of necrosis or trauma in the penis and the consequent development of an obstruction in the urine flow.
The diagnosis of the disease consists of the critical examination of the penis and the prepuce.
See more: Peripheral Nerved Diseases in Dog
[…] See more: Paraphimosis in Dog […]